Friday, March 18, 2011

Horror Story!!

On my way home last night I decided to stop at Wal-Mart and pick up a few things. That should have been easy enough, right? After spending about an hour meandering and putting serious thought into what I was buying, (for a baby shower and a few things for a friend,) I headed up front to check out. The cashier rung up my total and I swiped my credit card.
Conversation 1:
Cashier: "I'm sorry, there was an error. It didn't take your card."
Kim: (Thinking) "I'll try it again." So I tried it 2 more times, once myself, and once the cashier.
Cashier: "Do you have another card or cash with you?"
Kim: "No. I don't know... Let me run home and I'll be back."

I hopped in my car, rather upset at this point, that I'd have to drive 10 minutes home, only to go back to pick up my things. But, "oh well." I got home, grabbed my wallet with my other credit/debit cards, and went to head back to the store. I thought about trying to find some cash, but I really wasn't sure where to look.

I arrived back at Wal-Mart, in pretty good time. The cashier told me to go to the next lane and someone would get me rung up again. I tried using a debit card, which I didn't remember the pin to.

Conversation 2:
Cashier: "Sorry. It didn't take your card."
Kim: (Slight panic setting in; trying to remember the debit pin.) "Let me try it again."
Cashier: "It still didn't go through. Do you have a debit card? Maybe you could go get cash from the ATM."
Kim: "This one is debit, but I can't remember the pin." (Feeling rather flustered, tried a pin, which was wrong.)
Cashier: "Let me try running it. A lot of times it's our machine." (Still didn't work.)

At this point I was in tears. I had a couple other cards, which I hadn't activated. I tried calling Dave to see where he was, but he was still in Provo at the business. By now I was just sobbing and pretty much gave up.

Kim: "I'm really sorry, but I guess I'll just have to leave this here."
Cashier: "It's okay. This happens more than you think." (Didn't make me fell any better.)

So I left...bawling...without food...and SO embarrassed!! I guess these things happen, but I was mortified. Frankly, I'd be okay just avoiding stores for a while, but I really do need to go back and get a few things. So I guess I'll just have to step up and brave returning to a retail store.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry Kim! That is very frustrating and embarrassing too, I understand. But don't be afraid or embarrassed.
    Love you,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry! This does sound like a horror story. That's one of the reasons i dispise cards. Cash is so much more practical.

    ReplyDelete